Focusing on community health

Blue Cross has a long tradition of taking on health care’s biggest challenges. That tradition continues today. Here are some key ways we’re focusing on improving health:

1. Encouraging better health and wellness
2. Supporting the Center for Prevention and its initiatives
3. Strengthening community health through our Foundation

Encouraging better health and wellness

Personal behavior accounts for only 30 percent of health — the other 70 percent is determined by our environment and access to health care. That’s why we offer our members many ways to improve their health.

Supporting the Center for Prevention and its initiatives

Funded exclusively through proceeds from Blue Cross’ historic 1998 settlement against the tobacco industry, the Center for Prevention delivers on our long-term commitment to improve the health of all Minnesotans. Here are some of the initiatives the Center supports to improve health:

Nice Ride bicycle

Nice Ride Minnesota: Last year, we added 24 stations in Minneapolis and St. Paul, bringing the total system up to 170 bike share stations and 1,550 bicycles.  Learn about Nice Ride Minnesota ExternalLink

Market Bucks: To encourage the use of Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) terminals at farmers markets, the Center offers a “Market Bucks” match on EBT card purchases up to $5 each day. Find a participating market ExternalLink

Advocating for health: Blue Cross' Center for Prevention advocates for state and local policies that help make our state a healthier place for all Minnesotans. Learn about the Center's programs ExternalLink

Strengthening community health through our Foundation

Established in 1986 as a separate non-profit organization, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Foundation is dedicated to improving the health of all Minnesotans. Learn about the Foundation ExternalLink