Innovation and Service
- We were the first “Blue” health plan
- Our history began in 1933, when seven St. Paul hospitals teamed up to form the “Minnesota Hospital Association,” the nation’s first prepaid health care network. An early advertisement depicts a nurse with a blue cross on her sleeve. An iconic logo is born, and we become the first-ever health plan to use the “Blue Cross” name.
- Less than a decade after we became the first Blue plan, the name and symbol are adopted by the national Blue Cross Association. “Blue Cross” goes on to become one of most recognized and trusted health care brands in the world.
We are the largest health plan in MinnesotaToday, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota is the largest health plan in Minnesota, with more members, the largest network of providers, and more products and services than any other plan in our state.
Our 2.7 million members can be found in every Minnesota county, all 50 states and on four continents.
Approximately one in three Minnesotans has a Blue Cross membership card.
- We are a fiscally responsible, nonprofit Minnesota company
- Blue Cross operates as a nonprofit organization – which means our resources are used to serve stakeholders, not stockholders.
- We contribute more than $250 million in salary and wages annually to the Minnesota economy.
- We employ approximately 3,700 people throughout Minnesota, with offices in Eagan, Virginia, Aurora, Duluth, Moorhead, St. Cloud, Mankato and Rochester.
- While we are structured as a nonprofit, we still pay our fair share as a responsible company through more than $100 million in taxes and assessments every year.
- Approximately 90 cents of every health care dollar collected by Blue Cross is used to pay for members’ health care costs. We have an administrative cost level of less than 10 cents of every dollar – one of the lowest levels in the country.
- The National Business Group on Health recognized Blue Cross with the 2008 Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles award.
- Our service center handles more than 3.4 million calls every year with high satisfaction rates.